Print This Page

Salmonella and Tomatoes

Dirt Doctor Weekly Newsletter - Tomatoes and Salmonella

First of all - the experts haven't figured out for sure whether the culprits are tomatoes, peppers or some other produce. Doesn't matter - here's the solution: 

Wash the food thoroughly before it is served or before you eat it!

content_img.5100.img.jpg

It also doesn't matter whether food is organically or synthetically grown in this case.  The contamination most likely came from the handling of the food somewhere along the line.  One report said this:

"The salmonella bacteria is common in animal feces.  It is believed that the tomatoes somehow came in contact with animal feces during the growing or harvesting process.  It is not common for tomatoes to cause this kind of illness without some external contamination source."  I agree that the bacteria probably came off of someone's dirty hands.

What to use?  Glad you ask.  Clean the produce with liquid products such as Veggie Wash or other natural cleaners.

If you have any questions regarding this newsletter or any other topic, join me for my radio show heard in Dallas/Fort Worth on Saturday at 11am and across the country on Sunday from 8 - 11am (CST).  Radio 

Naturally yours, 
content_img.5081.img.jpg

Howard Garrett
The Dirt Doctor           

Forward this newsletter to family and friends and ask them to 

To receive other great natural organic advice and information like interactive
 organic forums, videos and the DIRT publication, you can 
Join the Ground Crew. 
A portion of your membership supports the Texas Organic Research Center .  

Dirt Doctor, Inc.    P.O. Box 140650     Dallas , TX    75214   
www.DirtDoctor.com   Copyright (c) 2008

No longer wish to receive the Dirt Doctor Weekly Newsletter,
click reply & put Unsubscribe in the subject line. 

Search Library Topics      Search Newspaper Columns