Compost Bins (Wire)
Composting enthusiasts take heart! There are plastic-coated wire compost bins up to the task of converting your weeds and scraps into good compost. This sample 15.6 cubic feet bin is an example of an enclosure constructed from PVC-coated steel wire. (This topic originally pointed to a compost bin manufacturer that has unfortunately gone the way of the Dodo - you can buy the outer bin from several manufacturers and construct the inner vent using hardware cloth or a few tight wraps of chicken wire. Use the image on the left below as an example of how the central aerator should work.)
Features and Benefits
- Unique central ventilator speeds up composting process (build the ventilator yourself)
- Galvanized and PVC coated steel in various colors (green or black are good to make the bin disappear into the landscape)
- Rust and corrosion resistant
- Durability depends upon how well you treat the bin. (If it is relocated every year for a new batch of compost it will last longer.)
Specifications (of the sample bin - made by Bosmere and available in many retail outlets)
- Size Dimensions: 30"L x 30"W x 30"H - Mesh is 5" x 2"
- Capacity: 15.6 cubic feet capacity (expandable)
- Composition: Plastic coated Galvanized Steel
- Usage: All-purpose yard waste
- Key Features: PVC coated wire mesh (construct your own central aerator)
- One year warranty
Several manufacturers with broad retail distribution of their compost bins:
Google search on "wire compost bin"