Organic Answers Column - November 8, 2023 - Crispy Pecans Redux
Crispy Pecans Recipe
Each fall when it is the pecan harvesting season I find myself refining the crispy pecan recipe. The one I now use and recommend is much easier to do and has better results than those listed in past years. This recipe also works with other nuts (we sometimes make almonds this way), but pecans are hard to beat.
Season the nuts prior to roasting
For the best outcome use good quality ingredients
• 4 cups of pecan halves
• 3 Tbs butter
• 3 Tbs Worcestershire-type sauce. My favorite is Organic Coco Aminos
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp powdered cinnamon
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
• ¼ tsp cayenne powder
• Dash of Tabasco (optional)
A favorite ingredient in the pecan seasoning is the Coco Aminos Marinade.
• Melt butter in a heavy skillet
• Add the amendments and stir in thoroughly
• Add pecans and stir thoroughly
• Spread nuts on a stainless steel baking sheet or tray
• Coating the sheet with butter or other oil is unnecessary.
• Turning the pecans occasionally is helpful
• Bake in oven at 150 - 170 degrees for 4-5 hours (+ or –) till pecans are crispy
Logan helping with this year's batch of Crispy Pecans
Store the finished product in glass and enjoy a delicious and healthy treat often. These improved nuts not only taste better but are also more digestible and better for you. Enjoy some soon and treat your friends and family to an unusual snack.
Almonds are also good when prepared with this recipe