Rose Rosette Cure Update 2015
Rose Rosette Cure
Rose rosette continues to be a controversial problem. Some rosarians and most universities say there is no cure. I say there is. Here's the most recent update:
Healthy New Growth
Universities around the country continue to proclaim that there is no cure and that infected roses need to be removed and destroyed. Also don’t plant any roses in that spot forever! The Knock Out rose seems to be one of the main targets of this “viral-like” disease. Too many of these once thought carefree roses have been planted. Virtual monocultures have been planted in many parts of the country, especially the south.
We think planting a lot fewer Knock Out roses is wise, but saying there is no solution to the problem is silly. The solution has three steps:
1) Stop planting so many of this variety and add some biodiversity to your rose planting.
2) Apply the procedure called the Sick Tree Treatment. It is explained in detail under Guides on the home page of DirtDoctor.com and also in a past newsletter found in the Natural Organic Library of DirtDoctor.com.
3) Add hydrogen peroxide to the Garrett Juice spray. Replace a quart of water with a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Commercial products can also be used by diluting them per label instructions to a 1% concentration.
The basics of the procedure are as follows:
- Prune off the diseased and deformed growth. Spritz-spray the cuts and tools between cuts with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Aerate the root zone and apply the organic bed preparation amendments.
- Remove soil and mulch from trunk flares of bushes.
- Mulch bare soil away from trunks with shredded native tree trimmings.
- Spray plants and beds with Garrett Juice with 32 ounces of hydrogen peroxide added per gallon of mix. 32 ounces (1 quart) less water can be used per gallon.
- Go organic and especially eliminate the synthetic fertilizers.
To discuss this newsletter or any other topic, tune in Sunday 8am -11am central time to the Dirt Doctor Radio Show. The call-in phone number is 1-866-444-3478. Listen on the internet or click here to find a station in your area.
Please share this newsletter with everyone in your address book and all your friends on Facebook and Twitter to help me spread the word on organics.
Organic Club of America
Forward this newsletter to family and friends and ask them
to subscribe for Howard Garrett's Free E-Newsletter.
Dirt Doctor, Inc. P.O. Box 140650 Dallas, TX 75214
If you no longer wish to receive Howard Garrett's Weekly Newsletter,
click reply and put Unsubscribe in the subject line.