Scotts Bonus S Fertilizer
It’s Time to Fertilize – But Not with this Stuff!
The # 1 fertilizer to avoid is this one - Scotts Bonus S. As you will notice right on the label, it contains a herbicide called atrazine and that toxic chemical herbicide should not be used around your shrubs and trees. Why? It will kill them!
The most heavily recommended "weed and feed" fertilizers contain atrazine, a toxic chemical herbicide that is quite effective killing your trees and shrubs. One of the most interesting points about these products is that non-organic people agree with me that these products should not be used. Although the "chemicals are OK" crowd has no problem with synthetic fertilizers and herbicides, they do acknowledge that the two ingredients in these products aren't suitable to be applied at the same time. The pre-emergent herbicide part of the products needs to be applied about 2 months earlier than the soluble fertilizer part of the products. Plus, we agree that atrazine should not be used on residential property period because the roots of trees cover the entire property of most lots. Some of the specific products that you should avoid are Scotts Bonus S, Vigero, Sam's and others. Others include any fertilizer that contains herbicide.
Quotes from the Bonus S package instructions:
- "Do not use under trees, shrubs, bedding plants or garden plants."
- "Do not apply on or under the branch spread (rootzone) of trees, shrubs, bedding plants, flowers or garden plants."
- "Do not apply by hand or hand-held rotary devices."
- "Do not apply this product in a way that will contact any person either directly or through drift."
- "Runoff and drift from treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas."
- "This product is toxic to aquatic invertebrates."