TORC Texas Organic Research Center
Texas Organic Research Center (TORC)
What is TORC?
· A Texas based non-profit research institute focused on demonstrating the effectiveness of organic approaches in gardening, landscape management and agribusiness.
· Emphasis is on conducting and facilitating research on organic methods, acting as a clearinghouse for information on organic approaches and increasing awareness through public education.
Why is TORC important?
Despite much interest and experimentation on rganics, the “Organic Community” has not had the benefit of major funding for research or well-funded lobbyists to spread the word.
· By bringing together existing research, facilitating and conducting new research and spreading the word through public information, TORC will respond to the demand for conclusive evidence that:
- Organic programs work better than chemical approaches.
- Organic solutions are les costly than chemicals.
- Organic programs are safer and create a more healthful and
What is TORC currently involved in?
· TORC recently received 501c3 non-profit status and has begun fund raising and application for grants. Current staff is completely volunteer.
In the meantime, TORC has joined with organizations such as the Dallas Arboretum and Tierra Verde Golf course to test organic approaches.
Once funded, TORC plans to establish an office and research facilities. North Texas cities have expressed interest in being home to TORC and have volunteers land and some assistance.
How can I get involved?
· As a start-up non profit, TORC has a variety of needs. Our most urgent need is to obtain funding which will be used to develop a web site containing all the current research and related information supporting Organic programs.
· Contact Doug Sheldon at email@example.com for more information on how you can become involved.