Steps to a Raised Bed Organic Vegetable Garden
Step 1 Determine what you will be growing
- Sprawling crops like melons may need vertical support.
- Upright crop like tomatoes?
- Space requirements vary.
Step 2 Select site, size, shape and number of beds
- 4x 4 and 4x 8 are ideal for backyard gardens.
- Longer is OK but widths larger than 4 are difficult to access.
- Full sun with late afternoon shade is best.
- Dont hide your garden it can be a pretty part of the landscape.
- Near water source is important.
Step 3 Prepare site
Newspaper or cardboard can be used to block grass and weeds from regrowing.
Allow for walkways of shredded native tree trimmings.
Step 4 Purchase materials, construct bed
Level the raised beds.
Step 5 Mulch surrounding walkways
- Native tree trimmings or cedar is best.
- Do not use landscape fabric or plastic, pine bark, cypress, dyed or rubber mulch.
Step 6 Planting and maintenance
- Refer to Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening book for reference and advice.
- Call Howard with questions every Sunday morning 8-11 at 866-444-3478
If you have any questions on this newsletter or any other topic, tune in Sunday 8am -11am central time to the The Natural Way - Dirt Doctor Radio Show. Listen on the internet or find a station in your area. The phone number for the show is 1-866-444-3478.
Please share this newsletter with everyone in your address book and all of your friends on Facebook and Twitter to help me spread the word on organics.
Join the Organic Club of America.
Membership supports TORC.
Forward this newsletter to family and friends and ask them
to subscribe for Howard Garrett's Free E-Newsletter.
Dirt Doctor, Inc. P.O. Box 140650 Dallas, TX 75214
If you no longer wish to receive Howard Garrett's Weekly Newsletter,
click reply and put Unsubscribe in the subject line.